Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

Hi All

We have a small garden that we really enjoy but it’s a bit overlooked and the view over the top of the back fence is a bit ‘stark’

Any ideas to soften the impact and provide a bit more privacy gratefully received!

Not a great photo but I’m basically talking about the view of the back fence (where the purple clematis is) when viewed face on  

Dovefromabove

The perfect place for a pergola with climbers to provide privacy when sitting out ... perhaps a 'trangular' one across the far corner of the decking? 

Hmm it’s more for kind of a face on view as you look at it. (Ie more for the part of the fence that runs from the far corner to the edge of the deck) 

There’s actually a nice tree in neighbouring garden in that corner that provides nice shade and screening. 

Will take a better photo on the weekend from front on :) 

Pete8

If not a pergola, then maybe an arbour-

Some tall grasses planted either side - Stipa gigantea or the more architectural Calamagrostis × acutiflora 'Karl Foerster' would grow above fence height

Managed to get home in daylight. Here’s a better photo of the view from the back door which shows what I mean

Advertisement

Borderline

What is the orientation on that border? I think you need to be more generous on that border and dig into your lawn by another 2 feet. This allows you more space to grow some shrubs but also, increase the height on your side of the fence with some kind of lattice that allows you to grow climbers upwards. If you have a west facing or south facing wall there, try Solanum Crispum Glasnevin. Fairly fast growing and arching/lax habit that is semi evergreen in protected sites and plenty of colour in the summer months. Can be wall trained to cover vast areas. If you have a north or east wall, I recommend Pileostegia Viburnoides. Very easy to control and is self clinging. 

Last edited: 11 January 2018 18:19:07

Doghouse Riley

A planting solution, will take quite some time to give you what you want.

I'd be tempted to put some trellis on top of the fence and grow plants of your choice up the fence.

We changed a four foot fence  to a six foot one between ours and our neighbour's drive to which I attached some trellis panels. We have two Mayleen clematis and some roses.

It quickly went from this.

To this, the year before last. It was even thicker last year. It gives us both some privacy.

hogweed

That fence already looks to be about 6 foot so trellis on top is a no go. A pergola over the seating area is about the only quick solution to cut the view from the neighbouring upstairs windows (but it will also cut out the sun on the chairs).

madpenguin

I think we sometimes worry too much about being 'overlooked'.I live on a modern estate with houses all round but I can't really see anyone in their gardens even from the upstairs windows.I have 6ft fences all round and have grown shrubs in front and have climbers etc.It's taken 16 years!

When I am in the garden I could be the only person around!

1. 2002 with just 6ft fence:-

2. 2017 View from just standing in the garden,seems quite secluded:-

3.2017 View from upstairs window shows you cannot see much of surrounding gardens so assume they can't see much of me!!

Last edited: 11 January 2018 23:27:17

What a transformation Madpenguin!

Your garden looks amazing.

Wow!!

Thanks for the suggestions all! Being the impatient type I’m considering finding someone local to source and plant some mature shrubs etc, depending on cost. We’re not planning on staying here forever so dont want to spend the earth but also want a good 3-5 years of enjoying the garden so I don’t mind spending a bit to get a good head start. 

Stunning garden ,Madpenguin! I could stare at your pics for ages.

madpenguin

Thank you for the compliments! 

Because I live with it every day I don't always notice how much the garden has changed.

When working on it I tend to only see what needs doing next,fresh eyes see the whole picture.

So many things went in as cuttings and small plants it is only when I look back I can see how much it has all grown and changed over the years.

I quite often read that plants and gardens take 10 or so years to mature and it seems an absolute age but time passes very quickly really and before you know it another year is upon you.

Advertisement

Doghouse Riley

Another alternative would be a "bamboo forest" this is ours, it's  only a foot deep.

It can add a bit of mystery to your garden.

Last edited: 13 January 2018 15:40:11