Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

I found some beautiful irises for sale locally and decided to plant them about a month ago. We've had a lot of rain so they're doing okay in the sunny spot I placed them. Some of the leaves are half brown, half green. I did a little cleaning up this morning to remove the dead leaves and even done healthy looking leaves pulled up... Like they were too wet. Just looking for advice on irises... What is the likelihood they will make it through the scorching August heat in Georgia? If they dieback will they return in the spring? 

Borderline

Do you have a label for the Iris plant? Some Iris plants need to be planted quite proud and don't like excess wet in the base area. Due to the different types of Iris plants, your planting position may not be ideal. Having said that, a bit of dying back is not unusual. 

As Borderline states , different types of Iris include dwarf alpine , rhizomatous 'bearded' , bulbous 'Dutch' and several species of aquatic often used as pond marginals . In the absence of a label it is difficult to advise .

Mike Allen

In total agreement with fellow members.  Extra srong summer heta can cause many problems. Not just to the Genus Iris for short, but other plant species.  Such as the Bearded Iris and the general Flag Iris.  These rhizomes lap up the sun,  That is why gardeners have found over time to plant, basically lay the rhizome on the soil surface and not to bury/plant it.  Other species like Iris reticulata has to be planted as a bulb/corm.  If in a way of answering your question.  Perhaps some botanical biological knowhow comes into play.   In short.  The rhizome types have the inbuilt stability to withstand, tolerate and adapt to perhaps excessive changes in climate, moisture etc.

The bulouse types, such as Iris reticulata.  Here we have a smaliish bulb.  A capsule.  Despite it being retained under ground.  This tiny receptical of life is so different in composition.   Yes.  It is so susceptible to above ground changes.   Might I venture to suggest.  If you have any of the Iris family.  When weather conditions might become a threat.  Take to applying a few handfulls of vegetive covering.  Some hay or straw even, in fact, anythin that will protect from the suns heat.

In total agreement with Mike here

Advertisement

The label states it is an Indian Chief, Lirio Indian Chief iris. We have used straw in the bed. They are all making it. Thank you all.