Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

Obelixx

No.  Bought one, tried it.  Utterly hopeless for the area i have to control but maybe OK for small paths. 

Doghouse Riley

I've got a  stubborn weed in places between the cracks  on the York stone  extension to the side of our concrete drive.They've defied the weed killers I've used on them.  They've tiny fleshy looking round leaves. So I've used a hot air gun, normally used for paint stripping on them. I'm waiting to see if they liked that too.

Many years ago, we lived in a rented flat one of four in a big Victorian house. The management company  employed a man to come round every month to burn off anything living other than the shrubs in the garden borders. It was a sort of like an old-fashioned long blow lamp that used paraffin.

Last edited: 12 October 2017 14:45:37

I had visions of a WWII army backpack when I read the thread title.  If the plants have survived all the systemic weedkillers used, I'd be surprised if burning the tops off would be any more successful in the long term.  You'd also need to be careful not to cause the York stone to crack or flake.

Doghouse Riley
KT53 says:

I had visions of a WWII army backpack when I read the thread title.  If the plants have survived all the systemic weedkillers used, I'd be surprised if burning the tops off would be any more successful in the long term.  You'd also need to be careful not to cause the York stone to crack or flake.

See original post

Thanks for that, but a paint stripping gun isn't anywhere near hot enough to damage the stone. Not even sure yet that it's damaged the weeds!

WillDB

Me tackling the bindweed last year. Much more fun than Roundup 

Advertisement

makinggardens

I used a roofers blow torch once. It did the job but then it all grew back. Hard work, but I went back to digging 🙁

Kitty 2

Excellent WillDB 👍😂.

Straight out of the Ripley school of pest control 😆.