Start a new thread

761 to 769 of 769 replies

Iamweedy

Dovefromabove  Is what you call a pikelet what most other people call a crumpet?

I lived in Leicester in my first four years and we called "crumpets" pikelets.

Tea was left in the pot to "mash"  not brew or such.  I love these local words.  

LG the L

Doesn't 'gobsmacked' come from Liverpool? I always hear it in a Scouse accent in my head. I can't imagine any of my American friends saying it.

Glad you had a lovely lunch, BL. 

Are Fairy, Clari and Chicky all AWOL? Hope they are OK.

Nice day - revision, lunch with friend who has returned from extensive travels, more revision, cooked for kids, visited brother, ate dinner at 10.30pm again! It's very chilly out. I had hoped OH might get the weekend off, but no. He hasn't had a day off since 1st January . We're planning to go and see some of Lumiere London tomorrow, with or without him. It was astonishingly wonderful two years ago, so I definitely don't want to miss it.

Dachalover
Iamweedy says:

Dovefromabove  Is what you call a pikelet what most other people call a crumpet?

I lived in Leicester in my first four years and we called "crumpets" pikelets.

Tea was left in the pot to "mash"  not brew or such.  I love these local words.  

See original post

I remember when I first arrived in Manchester back in the early 70s and discovering the wonderful barm cake chip butty .....I heard chip cob somewhere along the line as well.

In Ireland it was more stew than brew with the tea 

Pat E

I wondered who’d sent a message so early - it’s you Dacha. I was thinking about you a little while ago. Hubby sent me a joke and I could just imagine you having a good laugh. I’m not sure where to post it. I suppose I could start a joke file, but I’d not like it to get out of hand  I’ll think a bit more about it.

Dachalover

G'day Pat.....

Please tell the joke......here's a short one for you.....

"I never wanted to believe that my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker.

But when I got home, all the signs were there." 

Advertisement

Pat E

Good one.   I’ve made a new site . Look up new posts. 😄😂

hope you like it, Dacha. 

Dovefromabove

Good morning all  

A pikelet is like a cross between a crumpet and a scotch pancake. Thunder & Lightening is A layer of golden syrup with a dollop of clotted cream - found mainly in the West Country 

Another frosty morning here in Norfolk. 

Its a long time since I was at the Swan B L - always was a bit special. Glad you enjoyed it. 

Pat E

Hi Dove. Glad you liked them. 

The lumiere thing is on our news at the moment. Very lovely.