Start a new thread

41 to 57 of 57 replies

punkdoc

I thought this one might test you.

terrible photo, taken in the NW Highlands.

Any idea?

scroggin

Maybe a black throated diver? 

Sheps

Looking at the grey head and red throat, I'm going to go with Red-throated Diver.

BTW, fantastic shot of the Rhinos, Doc.

Last edited: 18 September 2017 19:25:44

Fairygirl

There are divers in and around Stoer doc - black and red throated, so I think scroggin's right.

The whole area is hoaching with wildlife from whales, seals and porpoises/dolphins, to fulmars, kittiwakes, skuas, peregrines and buzzards. 

That little pipit was certainly a tired little soldier Sheps 

They never  seem to stop flying and tweeting away. I never tire of seeing them  when I'm out. 

scroggin

That looks a better call than mine Sheps. I'd be made up to see either of them. The Great Northern Diver is my better halfs No.1 wishlist bird.

Advertisement

Sheps

A couple of shots from one very cold morning, a Short-eared Owl with a vole breakfast.

Not sure if I have posted these in another thread, so apologies if you have seen them before.

scroggin

Gorgeous birds Sheps.

Fairygirl

Always a pleasure to see them Sheps . Beautiful 

Need to get a bit further north next year then scroggin  

Yes - lovely to see the rhinos again doc. What a set of pix you got on that trip.

Sheps

Thanks scroggin and Fairy, pleased you like them 

scroggin

Very true Fairygirl, we're thinking of heading further north on our next visit. Maybe Lochinver area.

punkdoc

Fantastic photos Shep. You are a true expert. If we combined some of the things I have seen, with your photographic skills, we might win some prizes

Red Necked Phalarope, but hard to tell, I certainly can't from the photo.

Scroggin, I have seen great Northern Divers on Loch Maree.

Fairygirl

Superb scroggin. You won't be disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed my short visit 

doc - I think Sheps should do a calendar with some of his photos. Or perhaps he could do some for the G'sWorld one. I'm sure we'd all vote for him   

Sheps

Thanks Fairy and Doc...you are too kind 

Next up is one of those birds that is very rarely seen out in the open, and especially during the day as they are mostly nocturnal, most of their time is spent on the woodland floor, beautifully camouflaged in among the fallen leaves.

The Woodcock

punkdoc

Not my photo, taken by Ian, who runs a wild life spotting boat out of Gairloch.

Taken in his garden. Lucky so and so.

scroggin

Beautiful creatures, I visited RSPB Loch Garden a few years ago principally to see the Ospreys, the bonus was a family of pine martens that had taken residence under the visitor centre.

Advertisement

punkdoc

In the garden this afternoon?

Lilac Breasted Roller, Botswana.

Fairygirl
Sheps says:

Thanks Fairy and Doc...you are too kind 

See original post

Is the cheque in the post Sheps?   

Gorgeous pic.

Love that pine marten doc. Very jealous. I often wonder if people who have much rarer garden visitors ever take them for granted, or if they thank their lucky stars every day